rack power question

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sun Mar 23 17:14:06 UTC 2008

> Leo Bicknell wrote:
> >
> > Dual quad-core Xeons in a 1RU form factor.  600W power supply.  600W
> > * 42 = 25,200.
> >
> Supermicro has the "1U Twin" which is 980W for two dual-slot
> machines in 1U form factor;
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6015/SYS-6015TW-TB.cfm
>
> If you can accommodate that, it should be pretty safe for
> anything else.

My desktop has a 680 Watt power supply, but according to a meter I once
connected, it is only running at 350 to 400 Watts.  So if a server has a
980W power supply, does the rack power need to be designed to handle
multiples of such a beast, even though the server may not come close
(because it may not be fully loaded with drives or whatever)?  Wouldn't it
be better to do actual measurements to see the real draw might be?

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.