rack power question

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Sun Mar 23 04:17:26 UTC 2008

This greatly depends on what you want to do with the space.  If you're
putting in co-lo space by the square footage footprint then your
requirements will be much less.  If you expect a large percentage of it
to be leased out to an enterprise then you should expect the customers
to use every last U in a cabinet before leasing the next cabinet in the
row.  Ie your power usage will be immense.

I did something similar about 2 years ago.  We were moving a customer
from one facility to another.  We mapped out each cabinet including
server models.  I looked up maximum power consumption for each model
including startup consumption.  The heaviest loaded cabinet specced out
at 12,000w.  The cabinet was full of old 1U servers.  New 1U servers are
the worst-case scenario by far.  12k is rather low IMHO.  Some industry
analysts estimate that the power requirements for high-density
applications scale as high as 40kw.

http://www.servertechblog.com/pages/2007/01/cabinet_level_p.html

There are a few things to remember.  Code only permits you to load a
circuit to 80% of its maximum-rated capacity.  The remaining 20% is the
safety margin required by the NEC.  Knowing this that means that the
12Kw specified above require 7x 20a 120v circuits or 5x 30a 120v circuits.

You can get 20a and 30a horizontal PDUs for both 120v and 240v.  There
are also 208v options.  You can also get up to 40a vertical PDUs.  One
word of caution about the vertical PDUs.  If your cabinets aren't deep
enough in the rear (think J Lo) the power cabling will get in the way of
the rails and other server cabling.  There are others but they are less
common.

Also remember that many of the larger servers (such as the Dell 6850s or
6950s) are 240v and will require a pair of dedicated circuits (20a or 30a).

I would also recommend that you look into in-row power distribution
cabinets like the Liebert FDC.  This means shorter home-runs for the
large number of circuits you'll be putting in (saving your a bundle in
copper too).  It also means less under-floor wiring to work around,
making future changes much easier.  Changes in distribution cabinets are
also much easier, safer and less prone to accidents/mistakes than they
are in distribution panels.

Grounding is a topic that is worthy of its own book.  Consult an
electrician used to working with data centers.  Don't overlook this
critical thing.  Standby power sources fall into this topic as well.
How many 3-phase generators are you going to need to keep your UPSs hot?

I'm curious what your cooling plans are.  I would encourage you to
consider geothermal cooling though.  The efficiencies that geothermal
brings to the table are worth you time to investigate.

Best of luck,
  Justin