rack power question

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sun Mar 23 03:19:14 UTC 2008

PG> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:02:49 -0400
PG> From: Patrick Giagnocavo

PG> Hopefully this classifies as on-topic...
PG>
PG> I am discussing with some investors the possible setup of new
PG> datacenter space.

You might also try the isp-colo.com list.

PG> Are there cases where more than 6000W per rack would be needed?

It depends how one differentiates between "want" and "need".

PG> (We are not worried about cooling due to the special circumstances
PG> of the space.)

ixp.aq? ;-)

PG> Would someone pay extra for > 7KW in a rack?

They should.  If they need more than 6kW, their alternative is to pay
for a second rack, which hardly would be free.

PG> What would be the maximum you could ever see yourself needing in
PG> order to power all 42U ?

1. For colo, think 1U dual-core servers with 3-4 HDD;
2. For routers, Google: juniper t640 kw.

HTH,
Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.