Operators Penalized? (was Re: Kenyan Route Hijack)

Larry J. Blunk ljb at merit.edu
Mon Mar 17 15:18:06 UTC 2008

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Jeff Aitken <jaitken at aitken.com> wrote:
>
>>  IMHO a better use of our time would be to solve the underlying technical
>>  issue(s).  Whether it's soBGP, sBGP, or something else, we need to figure
>>  out how to make one of these proposals work and get it implemented.
>>

> Start with "implement RFC 2827 yourself, and start pushing other SPs
> to implement it" maybe?
>
> srs

   RFC2827 is about source address filtering which
is not really the same as BGP route announcement
filtering.  Unfortunately, I have not come across
any RFC's with a thorough discussion of route
filtering.   It is mentioned briefly in RFC 3013,
but section 4.5 only suggests filtering routes for
private address space.  RFC 4778 also mentions it,
but again, there is no in depth discussion.  Perhaps
it is time for an RFC dedicated to route filtering
practices?

 -Larry Blunk
  Merit