Routing Loop

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Sun Mar 16 00:00:32 UTC 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> There's also somewhat odd data in RADB (look at the changed: line):
>
> route:         194.9.64.0/19
> descr:         SES-Newskies Customer Prefix
> origin:        AS16422
> remarks:       SES-Newskies Customer Prefix
> notify:        noc at ses-newskies.com
> mnt-by:        MNT-NWSK
> changed:       noc at ses-newskies.com 20080314
> source:        ARIN
>
> This is in the middle of RIPE-managed swamp space, a /19 definitely
> doesn't belong there.

Yeah, I saw that a bit earlier and it did seem incredibly suspicious
given the timing.  Had I seen anything in the routing system itself for
that explicit /19 related to this I would mentioned it, but nothing
there.

Amazingly, a query to the NOC at SES Newskies yielded a near-
immediate response, which said they added it a few days back because
they were updating some policies and noticed it existed in a prefix
list for
one of their upstreams, that it appeared to be legacy, and that they'd
get
it removed.

All the more reason RIR allocation authentication used to seed IRR
information would be of value for routing policy specification, let
alone
informational purposes.

-danny