load balancing and fault tolerance without load balancer

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Fri Mar 14 17:00:07 UTC 2008

The approach described in <http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0505/abley.cluster.html
 > would probably work, so long as the routers choosing between the
ECMP routes are able to make route selections per flow, and not just
per packet (e.g. "ip cef" on a cisco).

Tony Kapela did a lightning talk a few meetings ago about another
cisco-specific approach which used some kind of SLA-measuring cisco
feature to do the same thing without needing to run a routing protocol
on a server. I can't seem to find a link to the details, but if
someone else knows where it is it'd be good to know.

Joe