load balancing and fault tolerance without load balancer

Joe Shen joe_hznm at yahoo.com.sg
Fri Mar 14 16:42:26 UTC 2008

hi,

   we plan to set up a web site with two web servers.

   The two servers should be under the same domain
name.  Normally,  web surfing load should be
distributed between the servers. when one server
fails, the other server should take all of load
automatically. When fault sever recovers, load
balancing should be achived automatically.There is no
buget for load balancer.

   we plan to use DNS to balance load between the two
servers. But, it seems DNS based solution could not
direct all load to one server automatically when the
other is down.

   Is there any way to solve problem above?

   we use HP-UX with MC-Service Guard installed.

  thanks in advance.

Joe