IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Mar 13 07:47:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> The only ADSL one listed "Billion 7402R2" doesn't _actually_ do IPv6 yet, but
> it might if they release software for it!
> Which would be nice as we sell them to customers and would love to magically
> turn on IPv6 to them one day.
>
> The only IPv6 ADSL router I'm aware of, that I can buy in Australia, is the
> Cisco 857/877 series (which work quite nicely I have to say :-)
> (Some earlier Cisco 800 series ADSL routers will work, but aren't currently
> available).

Actually Cisco 850 series does not support IPv6, only 870 series. We
tested earlier cisco models also: 830 series has ipv6 support. My
colleague tested NetScreen routers: apart for the smallest devices they
have IPv6 support. However I think these devices are not consumer
equipments. I would call SO (Small Office) devices. The HO (home office)
devices are the ~ 50-100 USD devices - you rarely see official ipv6
support.....

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882