IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 12 22:35:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, John Lee wrote:

> What I would like to see today is SOHO routers that do not interfere
> with 6 over 4 transport since my ISP does not offer home DSL termination
> of v6. Taking the silicon in a SOHO and adding 5 to 10 $ US in cost for
> v6 and multiple that by 5 to get a retail price of those features. Then
> offset that with the decrease in silicon size when you add both together
> with smaller size lines and transistors on the chips, I would project
> SOHO prices of 250 - 350 $ US to start with for v4 & v6 and dropping
> from there.

OpenWRT which actually supports IPv6 (by virtue of being linux based) can
be run on very cheap devices (as most smaller home NAT-gateways are
CPU based, no biggie), I suspect IPv6 on most of these is only a matter of
someone actually putting it in their RFQ and be willing to pay a few $
extra per unit when buying the normal large telco volumes.

Running code is out there, it's just a matter of getting it into the
devices.

The smaller SOHO routers that cisco has (800 and 1800 series) are quite
ready for this, 12.4T even has support for DHCPv6 prefix delegation on the
878 for instance (it was the only one I checked in the software advisor).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se