IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Mar 12 20:27:50 UTC 2008

On 12-Mar-2008, at 16:06, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but tangentially related that I'll dare to ask.
>
> I'm attending an "Emerging Communications" course where the instructor
> stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6,
> pointing to
> Asia specifically.
>
> Do Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. have such software for the Asian
> markets?

I seem to think I've seen SOHO routers (or "gateways" I suppose,
assuming that these boxes are rarely simply routers) on display at
beer'n'gear-type venues at APRICOT meetings, going back several years.
The glossy pamphlets have long since been discarded, so I can't tell
you names of vendors.

More mainstream for this market, Apple's airport extreme "SOHO router"
does IPv6.

   http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

I have not had the time to figure out what "does IPv6" means, exactly
(DHCPv6? IPv6 DNS resolver?) but I seem to think it will provide route
advertisements and route out either using 6to4 or a manually-
configured tunnel.

Joe