Peering with the Internet Alert Registry

Josh Karlin karlinjf at cs.unm.edu
Mon Mar 10 15:01:52 UTC 2008

All,

Some of you are aware of the site for network operators:
http://iar.cs.unm.edu/  which has running for two years now.  The purpose of
the site is to detect and distribute network anomaly information to the
network operators that need to know.  The flip side of our proposed security
system, Pretty Good BGP (PGBGP), lowers the local preference of anomalous
routes on BGP routers for 24 hours, giving operators time to respond to
anomalous routes before they can fully propagate.

Now, PGBGP is in actual routing software (Quagga), which we soon hope to
distribute.  As an initial means of test, we will switch the IAR to it
(instead of scraping RIPE/RouteViews with a script). This means that we will
need peers to provide the IAR with BGP updates (we will not propagate any
route updates to your routers).  Currently we have three BGP streams, more
would be appreciated.

If you would like to contribute to our research project, please reply
directly to me.  More information about the project can be found here:
http://cs.unm.edu/~karlinjf/pgbgp/ <http://cs.unm.edu/%7Ekarlinjf/pgbgp/>

Thanks!

Josh