Customer-facing ACLs

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Mon Mar 10 14:10:23 UTC 2008

Dave Pooser wrote:

> Do bots try brute force attacks on Telnet and FTP? All I see at my firewall
> are SSH attacks and spam. But sure, if there's a lot of Telnet abuse block
> 23 too; I think it's used about as rarely by "normal" customers as SSH is.

Depending on the ip space I find FTP brute force attacks 10 times more
common than SSH attacks. There really isn't a blanket rule you can impose.

On a different note, unless you clearly advertise that you're offering
filtered services I don't really find the practice ethical - and no a
tiny line in the TOS doesn't really cut it IMHO.

That doesn't mean it can't be done, simply spin the imposed ACL as a
value-add and that your customers are now on a "safer internet".

Regards,

	Chris