NANOG laptops (was Re: Customer-facing ACLs)

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 05:11:42 UTC 2008

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> I used to count the proportion of Mac laptops in the room (or, at least,
> my row) to pass the time when I was bored.
>
> .... I remember
> at the 1999 Washington IETF I saw exactly one, and I
> could hear people whisper about it around me.

I used to attend with various Powerbook flavors over the years.  I'm sure
that I wasn't the only person with a Mac at IETF in 1999.  I snuck my SO
into the terminal room with her Mac, too....

In the *really* old days, MacTCP (and MacPPP, of course) were pretty common
among my compatriots, talking to Sun farms.  But in those days, I used PC
desktops and laptops with KA9Q NOS.

We ran an ISP entirely on MacOS machines (with NetBlazers and PortMasters)
from 1994 to circa 1999, when Yellow Dog Linux became available.