NANOG laptops (was Re: Customer-facing ACLs)

Al Iverson aiversonlists at spamresource.com
Sun Mar 9 22:52:00 UTC 2008

On 3/9/08, Jason Lixfeld <jason at lixfeld.ca> wrote:

>  So the overwhelming question for me is why?  Is it simply the fact
>  that the native *nix underpinnings are where most users (within the
>  aforementioned demographic) spend most of their time anyway?
>
>  That's what did it for me - repeated attempts to get FreeBSD to run
>  stable on the Inspiron I had at the time.

The slight differences in the OS X gui vs 'Doze or KDE drive me nuts,
though. Full time Mac use doesn't interest me.

Anybody that knows me from any of the other 90 lists I'm on has
probably heard me talking up my Asus Eee PC, a $399 tiny Linux laptop,
which I'm very happy with and works great. When I'm traveling, I'm all
about small form factor and light -- and the Eee is far better (and
far cheaper) than my previous travel computer, an OQO Model 02 UMPC.

If you want a laptop with Linux out of the box, no weird driver issues
(works great with my Sprint EVDO card), etc., etc., I'd highly
recommend the Eee. Takes about 2 seconds to enable full KDE, comes
with a bunch of stuff preloaded, and it only weighs a couple pounds.
The downsides are few; the small disk space (4GB SSD) is probably the
biggest. Since it has an SDHC card slot, I added a 16GB SDHC card to
mine. I've also had a hell of a time getting the Cisco AnyConnect VPN
client working (but normal pptp vpn support has been a breeze).

Regards,
Al Iverson
--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com