NANOG laptops (was Re: Customer-facing ACLs)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sun Mar 9 20:12:50 UTC 2008

my laptop, and both my desktops, run KDE.  the underlying operating system
is usually something like opensuse (a linux distro) or pcbsd or desktopbsd
(which are freebsd distros).  all i need from the OS is to support KDE well,
patch itself from a vendor mothership often, do suspend/resume and wireless.

the laptop hardware itself is thinkpad, to get a 3-button mouse, full sized
keys, and relative indestructibility.  desktops are homebrew intel core-2,
with 15-year-old ibm high-clicky keyboards and 10-year old logitech mice.

the servers are all freebsd, to get /usr/ports (and recently, to get ZFS.)
server hardware tends to be supermicro.  starting to abandon 3ware/areca RAID
in favour of either JBOD or multiport SATA-II, with ZFS.
--
Paul Vixie