NANOG laptops (was Re: Customer-facing ACLs)

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sun Mar 9 19:47:48 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 3:21 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mar 8, 2008, at 2:40 PM, William Norton wrote:
>>> I was quite surprised to see the large number of Mac laptops at
>>> NANOG 42.  I didn't do a formal count but it seemed like about
>>> 1/4 to 1/3 of the laptops in use were Macs.
>>
>> ...You know, now that you mention it, I was also quite impressed
>> with how many macbook pros there were in room as well.   That
>> would be good to informally track I think :
>>
>> what tools(laptops) do NANOG folk tend to use?
>
> Macbook Pro (all of IANA (with one recent exception) use Macs of
> one form or another).
>
>> as this data might help SW dev types to target their netTools
>> distributions to mac platforms more quickly.
>
> That would be nice.
>
>> In the good ole days it seemed like 99% were PCs & maybe a couple
>> were reinstalled with some form of unix,

I used to count the proportion of Mac laptops in the room (or, at
least, my row) to pass the time when I was bored.

Nanog-29 was the first where I saw a substantial proportion. I
remember at the 1999 Washington IETF I saw exactly one, and I
could hear people whisper about it around me.

Now, there are too many to make it interesting.

Regards
Marshall