Customer-facing ACLs

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Sat Mar 8 02:44:12 UTC 2008

Scott Weeks wrote:
> We need to take this off-line.  All long timers are groaning, rolling their eyes and putting this in their kill file.

Are the long-timers groaning and ignoring this thread?  I certainly hope
not.  It's threads like these that need the benefit of their experience
the most.  Perhaps the long-timers could recommend a better destination
for queries like these because I have more questions I want to ask (my
next being about walled gardens).  If they're tired of answering the
same threads over and over again, then the query must be common enough
to warrant a BCP or at the very least a couple documents in a
knowledgebase somewhere.  Perhaps my Google-fu isn't what it used to be
but I couldn't manage to find any relevant docs online; not even a NANOG
presentation.

> Try convincing your product managers to create a new product just to appease 'sysadmin types'.

We're not in the business of alienating any customers.  If we can create
a bundle that meets a group of potential customers' needs we will.  It's
just another paragraph on the sales literature that we give our CSRs and
a little more work that I'll have to do in configuration.  I'm planning
on rolling out SOHO and Gamer packages this year.  Adding a SysAdmin
package wouldn't be much additional work.  I predict the adoption rate
to be the highest with the Gamer package, followed by the SOHO package
and finally the SysAdmin package.

I hope this thread isn't destined for an untimely death.  I've received
a number of off-list queries for summary information because those
individuals are also interested in customer-facing ACLs.  The
information I have to summarize at this point is brief and incomplete.

Justin