3rd party network monitoring

John A. Kilpatrick john at hypergeek.net
Thu Mar 6 22:10:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Tom Sands wrote:

> When we did get a hold of someone, they mentioned they could support
> simple ICMP requests.

To them "simple" means it's just a ping check.  They won't
montior/graph/care about latency.

I was pondering creating a "smoke ping collective".  Get a bunch of guys
to agree to run smokeping and monitor each other.  That's a great tool for
visualizing changes in latency and works just as well with ICMP as with
HTTP.

--
                                John A. Kilpatrick
john at hypergeek.net                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/