DNS and potential energy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Jun 30 03:07:21 UTC 2008

 this may actually be the straw that triggers a serious redesign of the
 Internet's lookup system(s)... if not this, then IPv6 has a good chance.

 Incremental changes are good  - are stable (usually), and often can be
 compartmentalized.  But sometimes - revolutionary changes are needed.
 and if they have the same attributes (stable & compartmentable) - then
 all the better.  the real issues w/ new TLDs is that they are being rolled out
 at the same time as IDN tlds....  the number of applications and endsystems
 that will need to be rebuilt, tested, debugged, shipped, and documented is
 nearly unimmaginable.  your comment wrt operations is, dare I say, understated?
 the opex for this is huge.  ICANN reaps the profits and the ISPs customers
 pay. (*) Friend Bush alluded to this earlier.

 It si my fond hope that DNS validation API's are built/tested soon, so that
 end systems have one sea change and not three within the next 24 months.

 Oh yeah... and make sure you get IPv6 capability in there too.

 This will not be your fathers Internet.

--bill