what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox of

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Jun 29 21:32:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:
>> Let the search engines organize the web, not DNS.
>
> OK, (assuming you believe that), why keep dns around.  Why not go back
> to just IP addrs and hosts files for those that need them.

  DNS is useful in masking IP address changes, and for humans navigating the
  Internet.

  DNS is not useful for organizing the web.  Additional TLDs isn't going to
  help organize the web.  Search engines and portals organize the web.  DNS
  will be increasingly less useful as the Internet continues to expand and
  grow, and normal non-geek non-nanog humans will increasingly rely on
  search engines and portals to find what they need, not domain names.

Beckman