the business model, was what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Jun 29 20:12:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 06:19:19PM -0400,
 Jean-François Mezei <jfmezei at vaxination.ca> wrote
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> I think that IANA should have long ago become quite strict with
> domain name registrations. .COM should have been only to companies
> operating worldwide.

Wow, ".fr", like many ccTLDs, spent a lot of time and money in this
Soviet-style regulation a long time ago. We checked business records,
asked customers for more paper, refused applications...

As an obvious result, many people choosed ".com" over ".fr".

In several steps (2000, 2004 and 2006), ".fr" relaxed its rules so,
now, there is no human checking. Most other ccTLDs did the same at
this time or before.

Should ".com" had rules like the one you suggest (how do you check a
business record from a company in Thailand? Or in Tadjikistan?) ".fr"
would have had been in better position against it :-)