ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sun Jun 29 18:49:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> We already see this in the email world, where a self-appointed cartel
> like the MAAWG can decide technical rules and policies, bypassing both
> IETF and ICANN. Even if only one half of the big operators enforce
> these rules, they will become de facto regulations, since noone can
> afford to have his email refused by this half.

The IETF is not good at specifying operational best practice and usually
avoids trying to do so, but even so, the MAAWG recommendations are in line
with what most IETF email experts think.

AFAIK ICANN has no remit to say anything about email.

Tony.
FAEROES SOUTHEAST ICELAND: CYCLONIC 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8. ROUGH OR VERY
ROUGH. RAIN OR SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD, OCCASIONALLY POOR.