Mail Server best practices - was: Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Jun 28 23:20:39 UTC 2008

some folk on this list are network operators.  i.e. what you do with
your personal mailbox is not highly interesting.   we have this silly
problem called "paying users." the issue is what an mta operator does
for hundreds, thousands, or more of these pesky critters.

at least in my world, they seem to have significantly higher tolerance
for 100 spams than one dropped ham.  they may whine about blow-back from
a joe job, but they will go bleeping nuts if they lose one message from
a legitimate contact.  and i suspect that this aversion to beta errors
is not irrational; think postal mail.

the issue, at least to me, is keeping mail drop alpha error reasonably
low while keeping beta error as close to zero as possible.

so please excuse me if i do not take talk about blocking some form of
dns silliness, or a continent of ip addresses, or ... very seriously.

we now return you to our regular channel of telling icann what it should
do at layer fourteen, a subject on which we have deep expertise.

randy