what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jun 28 20:14:06 UTC 2008

In article
<!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAKTyXRN5/+lGvU59a+P7CFMBAN6gY+ZG84BMpVQcAbDh1IQAA
[email protected]>, Frank Bulk -
iNAME <frnkblk at iname.com> writes
>One way to provide protection is too allow those who have the domain portion
>of any domain.(com|net|org|...) to have first dibs for the domain of any new
>gTLD.  i.e. if nanog.org, nanog.com, nanog.net, etc. would have first dibs
>on nanog.thisisgreatstuff.
>
>Or is that too simplistic and fraught with division?

perry.com
perry.net
perry.org
perry.eu  (etc...) and one of mine:
perry.co.uk

All have different registrants.

Now, what I did think this week in Paris, listening to all this stuff,
was that maybe there could be one big race/auction for something like
mytrademark.sunrise, and then all the sunrise periods of all the other
new tlds should automatically import as a reserved name, all the
mytrademarks (but if the registration wasn't taken up by the end of the
sunrise period, it could be thrown back in the pot).
--
Roland Perry