ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sat Jun 28 10:53:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 08:41:28AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> this is analogous to the gossip that most spam comes from china, asia,
> nigeria, or whomever we like to be xenophobic or racist about this week.
> measurement shows the united states to be the largest single source of spam.

Globally, yes, but anti-spam measures aren't global: they're local.
Everyone's mix is different: for example, during the past week, informal
comparison of the incidence of pump-and-dumps spams revealed that one
correspondent's have dropped to almost nothing, while another's continue
to steadily increase.

Global generalizations about spam trends are interesting, but not of much
use in crafting local policy.  The only thing that works for that is log
analysis, in order to identify the composition of traffic and thus craft
a policy (and then presumably implement it) that attempts to minimize the
local FP/FN rates.  (Note that FP/FN are always defined locally; there
is no such thing as a general definition.)

That said, global trends can provide some idea of what to look for in
local traffic: for example, given the massive infestation of .info
by spammers, phishers, spyware, adware, trojans, typosquatters, link
farms, drive-by-downloaders, etc., it's very likely that most people
will see a significant reduction in spam by blacklisting the TLD.

---Rsk