ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Jun 28 05:47:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> I just know who should be held for further processing @ the gate.

This is getting off-topic, so let's continue the discussion for a couple
more emails to see if we can bring it back on-topic to network operations,
and then stop if not?

> Which is good enough, in this case.
>
> "What is the object of defense? Preservation. It is easier to hold
> ground than take it. . .  defense is the stronger form of waging war"
>
> Carl Von Clausewitz

Which, while valid in many cases, some of them on the Internet, is in most
online cases--false. This is a statement by someone much lesser than
Clausewitz--me.

It is however, an educated opinion, and chronologically up to date.

Attack is a much easier form of fighting, online (let's leave war out of
it). For the sake of logic I will base this on two discussion points:

In security, all you need to attack is one hole, one vulnerability. As
a defender you need to defend against everything, anywhere. This is why
risk analysis exists, which brings us to another point from Karl--

Changing the words to fit our needs, Clausewitz also believed wars are
won by numbers, if you have more you win (Think the American Civil War).
Strategy starts when you have less numbers, by where you choose to apply
your forces--where it counts. Tying it with the point above is the basics
of risk analysis in military terms.

In security and information warfare, whlle numbers are "nice to have" and
make operations larger and more sophisticated--they are not necessary, our
rivals may be just a kid the same as they can be a nation-state. The cost
of entry is low, anonymity is potentially (under the right conditions)
assured.

In my article for the Georgetown Journal of International Affairs on the
war in Estonia, I mentioned how Martin van Creveld said decades ago how we
will be facing "organizations" rather than just countries. He was laughed
at and later obviously vidincated (think terrorism as one example).

Today it's much worse than that, and I state the game can be played by
individuals, ad-hoc groups and populations (not necessarily under any
flag or leadership, think Estonia).

 	Gadi.