ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Sat Jun 28 03:13:51 UTC 2008

These issues are not separate and distinct, but rather related.

A graduated level of analysis of membership in any of the sets of:

1: Recently registered domain.

2: Short TTL

3: Appearance in DShield, Shadowserver, Cyber-TA and other sensor lists.

4: Invalid/Non-responsive RP info in Whois

Create a pretty good profile of someone you probably don't want to
accept traffic from.

Conflation is bad, recognizing that each metric has value, and some
correlation of membership in more than one set has even more value, as
indicating a likely criminal node, is good.

YMMV.

I guess, if you have perfect malware signatures, code with no errors,
and vigilance the Marines on the wire @ gitmo would envy, you can accept
traffic from everywhere.