ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jun 27 20:40:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Jun 27, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Alexander Harrowell wrote:
> Well, at least the new TLDs will promote DNS-based cruft filtration.
> You can
> already safely ignore anything with a .name, .biz, .info, .tv
> suffix, to
> name just the worst.

Does this actually work?  The vast majority of spam I receive has an
origin that doesn't reverse map.  Of those messages that have origins
(as extracted from the appropriate Received header) that do reverse
map, the majority are in com and net. The mail origins of the top 10
TLDs from the last 30K spam messages I've received):

unknown: 12487
net:      2586
com:      1664
pl:       1093
ru:        917
it:        851
br:        652
de:        479
th:        372
fr:        226

Biz, info, and name don't show up at all.  Looking at the 'From'
lines, I get:

com:     13432
de:      8819
net:     1959
org:     1902
uk:      256
it:      246
nl:      240
edu:     229
au:      181
ca:      180

What cruft are you filtering using top-level domains?

Thanks,
-drc