ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 27 19:39:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:01:23AM -0400, Jean-Fran?ois Mezei wrote:
> Does anyone know how if the new gTLD system will still give some "veto"
> power to some people over some domain names that are morally objectable
> to some people ?
>
> I am not thinking of only .SEX but perhaps also .GOD .GAY .ALLAH .BI
> .CHRISTIAN .LESBIAN .MORMON .JEW .JEWISH .ISLAM etc.

.WOMEN-WITH-VISIBLE-FACES?

> For instance, in the USA "ABC" is the american broadcasting companies,
> but in australia, it is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
>
> Is it fair to hand .ABC to either one of the two ? (highest bidder) or
> will ICANN "lock" .ABC out so that neither can get to it ? I am sure
> there are many such gTLDs around the world that would conflict across
> countries.

Sure, which is why that's not what should be being *done* with GTLDs.

But engineering issues will be the very least of anyone's concern here.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
ay R. Ashworth                                                jra at baylink.com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me