what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox of new TLDs)

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Fri Jun 27 19:35:04 UTC 2008

> that's exactly my point! it's _not_ reliable, but it's the behavior
> that the average user has come to expect. If we can't even guarantee
> reliability with the small handful of TLDs currently in use, when we
> start introducing arbitrary new ones to anybody that can pay, I'm
> concerned that it's going to make user support even more of a headache
> (for those of us unfortunate enough to be involved in that role,
> professionally or personally :))
> --
> darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
>  http://darkuncle.net/pubkey.asc for public key

It's amusing to see companies actually profit from this behavior. The poker gambling sites know they can't advertise on TV as a gambling site, so everyone of their ads mention *.net which is their play for free site. They know that a major of people will instead go to their *.com website which isn't a free site.