what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

Scott Francis darkuncle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:24:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Jean-François Mezei
<jfmezei at vaxination.ca> wrote:
[snip conflict examples]

> Finally, will there be any performance impact on DNS servers around the
> world (thinking of caching issues) ?

more to the point ... what problem is ICANN trying to solve with this
proposal? What about the current system that's broken, does this new
system fix? It looks like a lot of thought went into the process
(thanks for the PDF link, DRC), and most of the issues raised here are
addressed (conflicts, abuse/phishing grabs, etc.) - I'm just still
unclear what the motivation for this new system was in the first
place.

I'm not opposed to it if it solves a legitimate technical/operational
issue that's germaine to either the operators of the Internet or the
users of the Internet, but so far I can't see that this serves either
of those communities. In fact, it could very well be argued that a
slew of new TLDs (whether a few dozen or a few hundred) will only
serve to increase complexity and add additional confusion to a system
that the standard user has just now come to grips with
("www.company.com will get me Company's official, legitimate page").

perhaps somebody with more insight can explain the rationale to me
(DRC?) - is there a purpose served here aside from corporate/legal
interests?

thanks,
--
darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527