ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Jun 27 16:13:10 UTC 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Jon Kibler wrote:

> Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>> Well, I guess this shoots in the foot Microsoft's name server best
>> practices of setting up your AD domain as foo.LOCAL, using the logic
>> that .LOCAL is safe because it cannot be resolved by the root name
>> servers.
>>
>> Who wants to be the first to try to register *.local?
>>
>>> They should have been following RFC 2606.
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marshall
>

> Thinking about it a little more, what about the common use of
> 'localhost.localdomain' for 127.0.0.1 in most versions of *nix? I can
> just imagine the chaos that registering a *.localdomain TLD will
> cause.

.localhost is already reserved through RFC 2606, so this should not be
a problem. To quote :
The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in host
DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the loop back IP
address and is reserved for such use. Any other use would conflict
with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

> Methinks it is time to update RFC2606 to reflect common practices
> before
> the new ICANN policies take effect.

If you can think of a list, it probably would...

Marshall