Possible explanations for a large hop in latency

bensons at riot.queuefull.net bensons at riot.queuefull.net
Fri Jun 27 02:57:53 UTC 2008

Depending on whether TTL is propagated into MPLS, this could be true.

Though it should also be pointed out that ICMP responses aren't exactly a precise scientific tool... The responding router could just be busy, and the response time could be reflective of load more than link latency etc. Similarly, failure to get any response at all from a router isn't necessarily indicative of packet loss...

Cheers,
-Benson

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile