Possible explanations for a large hop in latency

John T. Yocum john at fluidhosting.com
Fri Jun 27 01:09:25 UTC 2008

The explanation I got, was that the latency seen at the first hop was
actually a reply from the last hop in the path across their MPLS
network. Hence, all the following hops had very similar latency.

Personally, I thought it was rather strange for them to do that. And,
I've never seen that occur on any other network.

Perhaps someone from ATT would like to chime in.

--John