IPv4 source routing options and IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Thu Jun 26 01:44:03 UTC 2008

At 05:43 p.m. 25/06/2008, Deepak Jain wrote:

>>Quite a few times it has been mentioned to me that some peering
>>agreements require support for the IPv4 source routing options. I
>>was wondering whether this is still the case for some ISPs, or it
>>is not the case anymore.
>
>Before we decommissioned our last open peering fabric,
>source-routing was important to make sure your peer wasn't pointing
>default (or similar) to you. With the advent of private (and far
>more limited) bilateral peering as a preference to fabric based
>peering (at least among the ones who set peering policies globally)
>this has become
>less of an issue.

Thanks so much for your response!

>RFC 5095 aside.

Yes, sorry. The question should have been: Has IPv6 Type 0 Routing
Header ever been a requirement in v6 peering agreements?

(In any case, I guess Type 0 Routing Header could still be used, in
the same way that v4 source-routing was still being used even after
many IP implementations had decided to filter it by default?)

Kind regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando at gont.com.ar || fgont at acm.org