IPv4 source routing options and IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Wed Jun 25 20:43:46 UTC 2008

> Quite a few times it has been mentioned to me that some peering
> agreements require support for the IPv4 source routing options. I was
> wondering whether this is still the case for some ISPs, or it is not the
> case anymore.

Before we decommissioned our last open peering fabric, source-routing
was important to make sure your peer wasn't pointing default (or
similar) to you. With the advent of private (and far more limited)
bilateral peering as a preference to fabric based peering (at least
among the ones who set peering policies globally) this has become
less of an issue.

RFC 5095 aside.

Deepak