Cloud service [was: RE: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)]

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Jun 23 19:19:49 UTC 2008

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
> When I hear "cloud services" I think "in the network" even though it appears
> all these cloud services perform their work at a data center as an
> outsourced service.
>
> Is there a vendor that makes a product that perform spam/malware filtering
> literally in the network, i.e. as a service provider, can I provide spam
> filtering for the enterprises in my customer base by adding a piece of
> network gear?  I'm not aware of one today except those who provide
> enterprise-oriented gateways like SonicWall.

dpi boxes from a number of vendors can do that sort of thing... whether
they can do it fast enough to be inline with your compute cloud is
another question entirely.

That said the result is fairly perilous when rejecting a message
involves forging packets. and of course tls supporting mta's will be
opaque to the network traffic inspecting device.