EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Mon Jun 23 15:38:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org> wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2008, at 17:17, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> with EC2, it's game-over for the IP reputation industry,

> I was discussing this on an e-commerce practitioners list earlier today, and
> argued basically that, from an abuse point of view, EC2 is the same as any
> other bad neighborhood, and that operators needing to make impact fast, will
> treat it as they do any other bad neighborhood.

Concur. From an address-reputation perspective EC2 is no different
than, say, China. Connections from China start life much closer to my
filtering threshold that connections from Europe because a far lower
percentage of the connections from China are legitimate. EC2 will get
the same treatment. As that starts to impact Amazon's ability to
maintain and grow the service, they'll do something about it. Or let
it wither. Either way, address reputation solves my problem.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us