EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re:

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sun Jun 22 22:20:24 UTC 2008

scg at gibbard.org (Steve Gibbard) writes:

> So yeah, if big shared services that include important stuff aren't being
> adequately policed, that's probably a problem for IP address reputation
> services.  But that's not really a new problem being introduced by EC2.

this may be an argument that the process i speak of has already begun, or
it may dovetail with my observation, since i know that some big ISP's have
been in blackhole wars with some big freemail providers already, whereas i
do not expect any blackhole wars involving EC2 or similar.  it's one thing
to reject connections from some segment of the eyeball population on the
basis that "more ought to be done to keep abuse from coming from there" but
quite another thing to reject connection from a global e-commerce network
just because some shared IP's are sometimes used abusively.

the interpretive choice between "IP repututation systems were already doomed"
and "IP reputation services are now doomed" does not puzzle me overmuch.
--
Paul Vixie