EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sun Jun 22 18:33:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> so, i'm not whining, just pointing out that this is a sea change, the end of an era.

I think that era ended when RBLs became so difficult to maintain
without hour-by-hour effort.   The sad thing is that there is no
inverse-RBLs and MTAs that work straight forward with them.   In
todays, and tomorrows, world there needs to be a process of vetting
inbound SMTP connections.   I would much rather deal with a process
that requires "proof of need to participate" rather than having wide
open doors and windows and only being able to use a fly swatter.   The
problem with an maintaining an inverse-RBL is that it would require a
centralized and reliable entity, not just one or two joe schmoes

-Jim P.