Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Jun 22 15:09:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Paul Kelly :: Blacknight wrote:

> Have any of you recently noticed a lot of ssh scanning coming from
> amazons EC "cloud" IP blocks?
>
> Today alone I've seen approx 4m attempts from EC2 IPs on just 20 nodes
> on our network.

That's not too surprising, since any unix-like system that gets
compromised can make a handy platform for extending the hacker's
collection.

> Has anyone any experience with Amazons abuse people?

Yeah, if you can call them that.  There is no abuse coming from Amazon's
EC2 cluster.  I got the impression the only thing Amazon considers abuse
is use of their servers and not paying the bill.  If you're a paying
customer, you can do whatever you like.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |