smstools and CDMA

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Fri Jun 20 21:54:30 UTC 2008

Doug> Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way of sending and receiving text
Doug> messages using a tool like smstools and a CDMA modem.

Doug> I've found the MultiTech CDMA modem (MTCBA-C-N3-NAM) but I can't
Doug> seem to find any success stories to go along with it.

Phil> 	(I gather you mean smstools.meinemullemaus.de)

Yes, that seems to be a popular package.

Phil> 	Does it support the AT command set ?  But even if it did, I
Phil> 	think that the first question in the FAQ says it all regarding
Phil> 	requirements, but I may be wrong.

Yes, it has the AT command set, and MultiTech also sells a GSM modem
(MTCBA-G) that is supported by smstools3, but a fairly casual reading
of the reference manuals for both show quite a bit of diversity in the
command set between the CDMA and GSM modems.

Phil> 	Alternatively, have you considered a Nokia handset with Gnokii ?

No, not really. I was thinking that a "modem" would be a little more
robust and easier to deal with in the rack than a handset would be. If
I'm given a choice, I think I'd stay away from a handset, but I may
not have a choice.  :)