Latest instalment of the "hijacked /16s" story

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jun 18 12:25:39 UTC 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Joe Provo wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:59:21PM -0700, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
> [snip]
>> "See no evil, hear no evil, fear no evil"
>
> The (human) operators who cared have been pushed out by the
> (coprorate) operators who would rather disavow responsibility,
> turn up quickly, and book the revenue instead of vetting any
> customer claims for basis in fact or reason.  Customer
> filtering -even when black hats drive an AS- is Not Hard if
> the backbones (nets) displayed actual backbone (spine).

	I would argue the same for any/all security issues.  If people would
just shut off $VALUE, we'd have a lot fewer problems on the network.
I will concede the problem is making it scale and viable for some
parties.  The ones that don't make the inherent security of the global
network a priority are dragging the average down.

	- jared

VALUE =  ( infected host ip/customer, route leaker/hijacker,
nonfiltering customer, ... )