P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:14:16 UTC 2008

On 6/17/08, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Netfortius <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anybody used (and been successful at) a bit-torrent-like agent for
> fast
> > distribution of LEGAL software (install programs of large-DVD size),
> across
> > multiple sites, all over the globe, with bad WAN connectivity?

<snip>

most of the larger free-nix's do BT downloads on release day(s).
> Revision3 distributes their content via BT. There were rumors of
> Disney and Apple moving to BT models for their content distribution at
> one point as well.

<snip>

I believe World of Warcraft uses Bittorrent to push out updates as well
(Steam may, haven't checked, would make sense though). Something we've been
working with for a client is using Amazon's S3 service to host the tracker,
as S3 will natively handle serving it (both the content and the tracker, you
simply need to append ?torrent to the S3 request).

HTH,
-brandon