Cable Colors

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 17 06:01:10 UTC 2008

I work around the mess issue by stocking in 1/2 foot increments.  Sure
you sometimes
get a little extra at the ends, but, with a maximum of 6" extra to
deal with, it's usually
not much of a mess and can mostly be absorbed within the width of the
vertical and
height of the horizontal cable managers at each end.

Yes, it's a wee bit more expensive.

In long term deployments, custom-cut to length on site might make
sense, but, I work
in dynamic and changing environments where a given cable's life-span
varies
unpredictably between a few days and several years.  In that
environment, cut-to-
length requires more staff and cost than my budget allows.

Velcro cable wraps are your friend and the pre-printed serial/length
labels at each
end help a lot in the long run, too.

Owen