Cable Colors

Shaun Ewing s.ewing at aussiehq.com.au
Tue Jun 17 00:47:47 UTC 2008

On 17/06/08 9:00 AM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> the colors make no difference as long as you are consistent.  labeling,
> consistent port use (oob port == power port == switch port ==) are what
> will bail you out at three in the morning.
>
> randy

And there you have it. Finding the group of backbone cables (as an example)
out of a bundle of cables is much easier when they're a different colour.

What colours we use depends on what area of the network we're in.

For example (for the DC):

- Access layer (ie: to servers): Blue
- Management network (KVM, power, etc): Green
- Private network (internal only): Black
- Inter-rack links (don't touch): yellow
- Network uplinks (really don't touch): red

-Shaun