Cable Colors

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 23:58:05 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, plenum-rated cable only seemed to come in white or blue,
so I tried to use white consistently.  Always helps to visually identify
the correct usage for POPs in existing buildings.

And, I've a tendency to use black for "internal network management" (unable
to be seen off LAN/VPN).  Easy to tell staff "don't touch", and to visually
ensure going to the correct switch ports.

Yellow was pretty common for crossover cables, but now-a-days it's all
auto-sensing anyway.