DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 16 06:56:31 UTC 2008

Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	Authoritative only servers need hints so that NOTIFY will
> 	work in the general case.

Presumably that's because the authoritative server will want to look up
the RDATA (hostname) of each NS record that serves a zone for which it
is authoritative.  Could you avoid this if you used something like
'notify explicit' and specified all slave servers by IP address in an
also-notify clause?

>	Eventually, they will also need
> 	them so we can get rid of IP addresses in masters clauses
> 	on slave/stub zones.  This will help reduce the costs in
> 	renumbering.

Would an administrator still have the option of specifying masters by IP
address if they desire, and therefore remove the need for the hints
file?  It seems that this would at least give the option of not only
forcing recursion off, even if someone turns it on by accident (as Mike
notes), but it also should help reduce the potential for reflection
attacks from authoritative servers giving upward referrals for
out-of-zone queries, no?

michael