Single IP routing problems through Level3

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Jun 15 14:01:21 UTC 2008

We're seeing some really weird issues with connections that go through / to
Level3 IP space.  Basically, certain "pairs" of IPs (particular L3 IPs
coupled with particular IPs of ours) have dodgy/nonexistent connectivity,
but if you change the IP at either end everything's hunky dory.

I've sniffed (from both ends) pings going from a host in L3 space to our end
and seen the pings arrive at our end and head back in the direction of L3,
but they never get to their destination.  Traceroutes from L3 stop at the
next-to-last hop, while traceroutes back get to the hop before L3 space and
stop.

All of this behaviour is source/dest *pair* specific -- if I ping/traceroute
from another address (in the same netblock as the problematic IP, so all the
same equipment is involved) at either end, or to another address (again,
same netblock) at either end, it all works again.

I've got two questions:

1) Has anyone else seen similar behaviour from L3 (or other providers,
   even), so I know I'm not going mad?

2) What sort of configuration problem or software bug would cause this sort
   of problem to occur?  If it was an IP blacklist (or even a block routing
   issue) anywhere along the line, surely it wouldn't be sensitive to
   changing the other end's address to another one in the same /24?

Any insight/anecdotes/etc would be greatly appreciated, as it's starting to
do my head in.  Just knowing I'm not alone with this insanity would be nice
at this point.  <grin>

If it makes any difference, the blocks I'm working from at my end are
Internap, in 74.201.254.0/23 (we don't have all of it, just most of it),
while the far end is 8.12.35.0/24.

- Matt