DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 14 21:18:38 UTC 2008

There is no call for insults on this list - Rather thought this list was
about techincal discussions affecting all of us and keeping DNS alive
for the majority of our customers certainly qualifies.

We/I am more than aware of the DNS mechanisms and WHY there are there
trouble is NO DNS server can handle directed TCP attacks even the root
servers crumbled under directed botnet activity and we have taken the
decision to accept some collateral damage in order to keep services
available.     We are a well connected university network with
multi-gigabit ingress and egress with 10G on Abilene  so we try to
protect the internet from attacks originating within our borders AND we
really feel the full wrath of botnets as we do not have a relatively
slow WAN link to buffer the effects.

Yes - we are blocking TCP too many problems with drone armies and we
started about a year ago when our DNS servers became unresponsive for no
apparent reason.   Investigation showed TCP flows of hundreds of
megabits/sec and connection table overflows from tens of thousands of
bots all trying to simultaneously do zone transfers and failing tried
active denial systems and shunning with limited effectiveness.

We are well aware of the host based mechanisms to control zone
information,  Trouble is with TCP if you can open the connection you can
DoS so we don't allow the connection to be opened and this is enforced
at the network level where we can drop at wire speed.     Open to better
ideas but if you look at the domain in my email address you will see we
are a target for hostile activity just so someone can 'make their bones'.

Also recall we have a comittment to openess so we would like to make TCP
services available but until we have effective DNS DoS mitigation which
can work with 10Gb links It's not going to happen.

- Scott